History

Friends' Projects

There have, of course, been many achievements since The Friends were founded in 1939, but focusing on more recent times: a major project provided funds for the uplighting in the Cathedral and a new speaker system; The Friends' Millennium Project was the life-size sculpture of St Richard - commissioned from Philip Jackson, dedicated by the Bishop of Chichester after The Friends' AGM on 15th June 2000 and which stands on the western concourse outside the Cathedral (pictured right).

In 2003, The Friends enabled Chapter to commission an Icon of St Richard by Sergei Fyodorov, to mark the Saint's 750th anniversary, and this can be seen at the Shrine of St Richard within the Cathedral.  The Friends have provided new surplices and cassocks for the Cathedral choir, and other projects either just completed or still in progress include: Cathedral bells; improved lighting for the Lambert Barnard paintings in the south transept; the cost of providing this new website to promote the Cathedral as a place of worship; new signage and a new donation box; new Vergers' cassocks and a Children's Guide to St Richard which was commissioned by the Education Department. 

The source of these funds has been either legacies generously bequeathed to us by former members or from bequests, both of which enable The Friends to benefit considerably in funding major projects. If you are considering making such a bequest please do contact us for further information. We are always extremely grateful for this generosity.


Picture:
Newsletter sign up:  Sign up !
Forward this page by email:  Send now !
Friends of Chichester Cathedral
©2014 Friends of Chichester Cathedral | Website Map | Chichester Cathedral | Cookies | InFX Websites
The Royal Chantry, Cathedral Cloisters, Chichester PO19 1PX - ECRR Number X6489
TOP
Print this page